Houssam has a passion for creating urban plans, policies and designs that boost human happiness. He brings an evidence-based approach that helps governments, developers and non-profit clients maximize urban health and happiness. Houssam has led complex masterplanning, development and policy projects in diverse settings that range from rural towns to metropoles such as Dubai, Cairo and Vancouver. He also led Shore to Core, our groundbreaking collaboration with neuroscientists to examine the psycho-social effects of public space design in West Palm Beach.
Houssam plays leadership roles in various urbanist organizations. He is a co-founder and board chairman at Transport for Cairo, a mobility firm that pioneers data collection methods to improve informal transportation networks in emerging cities. He also sits on the board of organizations that work in real estate, transit advocacy and construction.
Projects Houssam has worked on
- Olde Town Hills master plan
- Richmond permanent patio program development – City of Richmond
- Eastern Passage community design
- Social wellbeing in modular housing – Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
- Spring Garden Road wellbeing assessment methodology – City of Halifax
- National policy for happier, healthier communities – UAE Prime Minister’s Office
- Happy neighbours: Design and programming for social connection in multi-unit buildings
- Happy Homes phase 2: Designed to engage
- Happy Homes phase 1
- Shore to core – West Palm Beach Community Redevelopment Agency